Wednesday, September 20, 2017

100 Things in Hillary's Book That Made Me Like Her Even More, Part 3

Part 1. Part 2.

(This... may end up at more than 100 before I get to the end of the book. SORRY.)

41. "I wish so badly we were a country where a candidate who said, 'My story is the story of a life shaped by and devoted to the movement for women's liberation' would be cheered, not jeered."

42. "This has to be said: sexism and misogyny played a role in the 2016 presidential election."

43. On what she expected when she kept her maiden name: "Maybe people would even respect what it said about our marriage: that I wanted to preserve my pre-Bill identity, that I was proud of my parents and wanted to honor them, that Bill supported my choices."

44. "Think about it: we know of only a handful of speeches by women before the latter half of the twentieth century, and those tend to be by women in extreme and desperate situations. Joan of Arc said a lot of interesting things before they burned her at the stake."

45. Aww: "I'll bet you know more about my private life than you do about some of your closest friends."

46. "People say I'm guarded, and they have a point. I think before I speak. I don't just blurt out whatever comes to mind." Hint hint!

47. "It will, no doubt, merit a line in my obituary someday: 'Her eyes once watered on camera.'"

48. She absolutely takes Bernie and the like to task for deciding that some issues are sacrosanct but not women's health.

49. "Mansplaining. The second I heart it, I thought, 'Yes! We needed a word for that!'" [I explained that one to my mom and a few of her Mount Holyoke friends and they reacted the same way.]

50. "It happens at work, too. I make sure everyone has eaten, that my staff is wearing sunscreen if we're at an event in the baking sun."

51. "Something I wish every man across America understood is how much fear accompanies women throughout our lives."

52. She makes sure to point out that Princess Leia has gotten a promotional to General.

53. "We helped bring into the mainstream the idea of a woman leader for our country. That's a big deal, and everyone who played a role in making that happen should feel deeply proud. That was worth it. I will never think otherwise. This fight was worth it."

54. "If you're ever looking for me at a party, you're likely to find me wherever the kids are."

55. "Finally, I sat down and tried my best to make eye contact with this squirming infant. 'Chelsea,' I said firmly, 'this is new for both of us. I've never been a mother before. You've never been a baby. We're just going to have to help each other do the best we can.'"

56. No woman at her law firm had ever gone back to work after having a baby, so she wrote her own maternity leave policy while pregnant.

57. She takes time for a little message to any new mothers who might be reading: "You're doing great. It'll get easier, so just hang in there. And maybe ask your partner or mom or friend to take over for a few hours so you can have that shower and get some sleep."

58. On the idea that she and Bill must "have an arrangement": "We do, it's called a marriage."

59. "All I know is that a lot of people have grabbed my hand and told me their worries and dreams, and that's been a unique privilege."

60. "People like me when I'm in a supporting role."

No comments:

Post a Comment