Monday, May 9, 2016

Morning Coffee (5/9/16)

Me elsewhere: TV news for the week.

An important new investigation from the Globe's Spotlight team: Private schools, painful secrets

The BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes and his team have been expelled from North Korea but have made it safely to Beijing. I saw a news alert as I was falling asleep last night that they'd been detained in North Korea, so I'm very glad the situation was more or less resolved by the time I woke up this morning.

"It's understandable that a real estate developer might assume that what works in real estate would work in economic policy, but it's not true. And Trump hasn't bothered to check or ask anyone about it."

Important: “We would have paid her the same if she weighed 500 pounds”: Publishing, Weight, and Writers Who Are “Hard To Look At”

A Comprehensive Timeline of Carly Fiorina's Historically Short VP Run

Paging Jean Valjean: Stealing Food Isn't a Crime if You're Going Hungry, Italian Court Rules (No, dumb jokes aside, this is a good thing!)

A Former Girl Soldier in Colombia Finds ‘Life Is Hard’ as a Civilian

I find the pieces comparing Trump to ancient historical figures to be weirdly soothing. (I almost said "after all, Greece is fine now" but that's OBVIOUSLY NOT TRUE. But it's not because of Alcibiades.)

There's some interesting information here, but the headline made me laugh, because if you found really old hair in a church wouldn't you just EXPECT it to belong to a medieval saint?

I just saw Paul McCartney in concert so I was fascinated to read about Philip Norman's change of heart on him.

The Complicated Sisterhood of Jackie Kennedy and Lee Radziwill

How To Tell If You Are In An E.M. Forster Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment