Thursday, March 24, 2016

2016 Books: Faithful Place

Faithful Place by Tana French
Penguin Viking, 2010
400 p.

Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad books have quickly become one of my favorite mystery series, and I can't decide whether I want to tear through the rest or space them out. (Book six comes out in August, so I'll probably catch up by then.) With each book in this series, I wonder if I'll be able to get attached to a new protagonist, but of course I always can. I love how these are so different in character and case specifics but all strongly written and absorbing. Faithful Place has two murders that take place a few decades apart - I tend to like that in a mystery - and French does an admirable job of drawing the Ireland of the 1980s as well as the current setting. I really liked Frank and his complicated family; the one thing I missed in this one was the time the previous books spent in the actual Murder Squad headquarters.

If you like complex, character-driven mysteries, you should definitely try these, but start with In the Woods.

See all the books I've read this year here.

No comments:

Post a Comment