Thursday, February 18, 2016

Oscar Project 2016: The Hateful Eight

Movie: The Hateful Eight

So! This was my first Tarantino and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Well, I expected violence, and got that, and it wasn't particularly a selling point for me but I also didn't mind it. What I didn't expect was how often the movie would remind me of Laura Ingalls Wilder (running a line to the barn so you can feed the horses in the snow!) and Agatha Christie. My favorite element was definitely the locked room mystery aspect, and - slight spoilers! - I only sort of figured it out because at one point I remembered a name appearing in the opening credits and realized we hadn't seen that actor yet. Definitely enjoyable.

Availability: You may still be able to find it in a few theaters, but it's pretty much gone.

Nominated in:

Actress in a Supporting Role: I don't know. I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh did a perfectly fine job with what she was given, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the role in general.

Cinematography: Yes! THE SNOW. THE HORSES. YOU GUYS. This was just gorgeous, to the point where I was sitting there saying "This is just so gorgeous" to myself, kind of in disbelief.

Music (Original Score): Yes yes yes. Definitely my favorite score of the year, and it made me want to seek out movies just on the basis of having Ennio Morricone scores, which is . . . not usually the main part of my movie selection process.

No comments:

Post a Comment