Thursday, January 28, 2016

Oscar Project 2016: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Movie: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I should say first that I'm a casual Star Wars fan; I've seen all the movies but I'm certainly no expert; I have some nostalgic emotional attachment to the franchise but much less than many people do. I went into this with no particular hopes or expectations other than to be entertained, and I wound up liking it quite a lot. I thought it did a good job of being familiar and new at the same time, as far as characters, story, look, everything. A fun time all around (except for some of those specific not-fun plot developments but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN).

Availability: In theaters.

Nominated in:

Film Editing: Yeah, okay. (Spoiler: "Yeah, okay" is what I am going to say for a lot of these categories.)

Music (Original Score): Sure! John Williams is always great, and I thought he did a very good job here of providing callbacks to the previous movies' scores without making this sound like it was just a warmed over retread.

Sound Editing: Sure. Lots of complicated sounds!

Sound Mixing: Yeah, okay. It was fine and probably fairly complex!

Visual Effects: They managed to make the elaborate effects look good and very... A LOT... without tipping over that point at which things start looking kind of accidentally animated, so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment