Monday, September 15, 2014

Web Series Recommendation: Classic Alice

I'm a late convert to web series, mostly because a) I am old and the world of YouTube confuses me and b) I've found it weirdly hard to remember to incorporate them into my media consumption routine. But! I've found a few I really like, and thought I'd start sharing, in case you too wish to enter the world of web series.

Classic Alice is an easy show to get started with because it's fairly early in its run, so you can catch up quickly without too much of a time investment. (Though trust me, it's worth the time.) The premise: Alice is a college student/bookworm who gets a bad grade on a paper because the professor doesn't think she's connecting with what she's reading. The grade? "He gave me a B-. I flunked. I failed." And that's the moment I knew I'd love Alice, because that kind of reaction is exactly me. Anyway. To deal with this and show that she can indeed connect to literature on an emotional level, she and her film student friend Andrew decide to make a documentary series in which she lives her life according to various works of literature, starting with Crime and Punishment. When I describe it that way, I worry it sounds a little boring, but trust me, it's not. The writing is a great mix of hilarious and earnest, and I became invested in Alice and Andrew (and Alice-and-Andrew) almost immediately. To watch all the videos in the proper order, just follow this playlist. And if you'd like to get more immersed in the world, the characters are on Twitter, Tumblr, and other social media as well, and you can read summaries of all that here. I also recommend this great interview with the creator and cast.

If you try Classic Alice, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment