Thursday, February 9, 2012

Oscar Project 2012: A Separation

Movie: A Separation

This Iranian domestic drama is quiet but extremely powerful, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. Aside from the strong story itself, it provides a fascinating look into life in modern Iran and the intersection of religion and personal life, as well the effects of class (and maybe sectarian?) differences. All the performances are strong, especially that of newcomer Sarina Farhadi. Overall, this was one of my favorite movies of the year.

Availability: I had to go to the arty theater in Boston for this one.

Nominated In:
Foreign Language Film: Definitely! I thought it was one of the best movies overall, not just among foreign films.

Original Screenplay: It's a little hard to judge writing based on subtitles, but my impression of this screenplay was that it was subtle and extremely well-constructed. And for such a serious movie, it had some sparkling moments of humor.

Movies left: 44; Days left: 18
Have seen 28% of movies and 50% of nominations.
Movie posts I owe you: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment