Friday, September 23, 2011

Community, "Biology 101:" It's Back to School Time!

Man, I miss school. I mean, I don't want to go to that school, but it makes me remember how much I miss school in general. ANYWAY. I thought this was a solid premiere. More after the break.



Most of this premiere was good, solid Community fun. I loved the opening musical number, which turned out to be all in Jeff's head. (And the bit about sleeping with Annie was surely not random, so it should be interesting to see where that goes.) I adored the BBC spoofs - Cougarton Abbey and Inspector Spacetime. And "You are the opposite of Batman" might be my new favorite insult. Overall, I am so happy to have this show back in my life.

The one thing I wasn't necessarily as wild about is that we seem to be trying to rehabilitate Pierce again. He's never been my favorite character, and the episodes that revolve around him tend to be my least favorite. I knew he wasn't going to actually be off the show, but I was sort of hoping. So, once again, he has made a grand gesture to get back into the group, where he'll continue to be an awful person. I think that's my main problem with Pierce: Most of the rest of the characters are generally well-meaning, even if they do bizarre and sometimes hurtful things. (Jeff is probably the most morally ambiguous, but even he isn't as bad as he likes to think.) But Pierce is the opposite - a repugnant person who occasionally lucks into doing something nice. I'll try to keep an open mind about him this season, but I'm afraid I'll have to continue to block his scenes out of my memory when I think about how much I love the show in general.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed on the Pierce thing. He's always been my least favorite character and I have trouble believing that this group would keep him around after the amount of horrible things he constantly does. I've also never found him that funny or interesting as a character, and I think that other characters in the group could be better explored if they stop trying to make Pierce's issues a main story.

    ReplyDelete